Modern design and true works of art come together in The Gallery at Mountain Shadows. Explore museum-quality exhibitions by artists with connections to Arizona, with new works debuted every two months. Don't miss our art opening receptions, featuring engaging conversation with the artists and curator paired with wine and hors d'oeuvre from Hearth '61.
JULY 7- AUGUST 31
Featuring Artists: Lew Davis (1910-1979) | Frank Patania Jr. (b 1932) | Raymond Phillips Sanderson (1908-1987)
This exhibition brings together three important Arizona artists for a historically significant show that includes painting, sculpture and jewelry. Davis, Patania Jr., and Sanderson continued the creative dialogue of radical new directions in their chosen mediums during their time.
Our next opening reception is September 27th.
ABOUT THE ARTISTS
Lew Davis (1910 - 1979)
Originally from Jerome, Arizona, Davis is best known for jewel-like prismatic abstract canvases of native Southwest forms. His surfaces are painstakingly applied layers of oil paint, to build up the desired luminous effect. Like the Synchromism artists, Davis insisted not on the optical effects of color but the materiality and tactility of color; that is, he wanted to use color, and not the more traditional line, to create form and space.
Frank Patania Jr. (1932)
Born in Santa Fe, Patania is the son of well-known and respected master jeweler Frank Patania, Sr. He grew up watching his father at the work bench and learned the techniques at age 7. Frank Jr.’s style is the emergence of the importance of simplicity and basic geometric shapes. By the mid 1960’s, he was considered one of the influential young contemporary designers in the country.
Raymond Philips Sanderson (1908 - 1987)
Originally from Bowling Green, Missouri, Sanderson moved to Bisbee, AZ for his health in 1932, where he worked as an illustrator and sign painter. Sanderson's work is described as non-representational, modern, and derived from the landscape and culture of the American Southwest. These panel works were originally commissioned by Walter Bimson, a major arts patron of the valley and the former CEO of Valley National Bank.